The Purpose of Our Website
Thank you for visiting the Douglas Legal Services website. The information provided herein is general; it is not actual legal advice. You should not act on information found here before personally consulting a lawyer
Viewing this site does not create a solicitor-client relationship with Douglas Legal Services.
The Rules of Professional Conduct require that Douglas Legal Services, before agreeing to represent any client, determine whether there are actual or potential conflicts with any current or former client of the firm. A request for more information does not make you a client of the firm or any of its solicitors.
It is extremely important that you do not send to the firm or any of its staff or solicitors any information via the Douglas Legal Services website or by email that you believe to be, or which may be considered to be, personal, private, sensitive, or confidential in nature.
At Douglas Legal Services, your privacy is of paramount importance. We strive to protect and control your confidential information. Further, as legal professionals, we adhere to the stringent confidentiality requirements of our Code of Professional Conduct.
We collect personal information – that is, any information by which you can be identified – only for purposes related to the completion of the work you entrust to us, or for keeping you informed about matters impacting that work.
We collect personal information only by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Generally speaking, we gather this information at the time you engage us to act as solicitors on your behalf. Sometimes we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as insurance companies, real estate agents, a government agency or registry, an employer, or an accountant.
We will disclose your personal information:
• Where required or authorized by law or by regulation, or by the rules of conduct that govern
the legal profession, e.g. if the court issues a subpoena.
• Where you have consented.
• Where the legal service we are providing to you requires us to do so, e.g. in a real estate mortgage transaction.
• Where necessary to establish or collect fees.
• Where we engage a third party to provide administrative services, e.g. computer back-up or
• If we engage expert witnesses on your behalf.
• If we retain other law firms in other jurisdictions on your behalf.
• If the information is already public knowledge.
We do not disclose personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services. We retain personal information only for as long as necessary to complete the work you have asked us to do. Once the work is complete, we close the file and destroy it after ten years. On occasion, some files may be kept longer.
You are entitled to request access to your personal information and to correct any errors or omissions. We strive to keep our records accurate and ask that you notify us of changes in addresses and other personal information. Your right to access your personal information is not absolute, and may be denied where:
• Denial of access is required or authorized by law.
• There are existing or anticipated legal proceedings against you.
• Granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy.
• The protection of our firm’s rights and property is at stake.
• The request is frivolous or vexatious.
Your Rights & Restrictions to Access
Physical Protections for Your Privacy
We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is secure including:
• Alarmed Premises
• Internal Password and Security Policies
• Technological Safeguards, Such as Security Software and Firewalls, to Prevent Computer Hacking
Please be aware when you convey personal or confidential information to us via email or cell phone that these are not always secure modes of communication.
M. Kenneth Douglas Professional Corporation c.o.b
Douglas Legal Services
Counsel: Robert F. Morningstar
Monday - Friday: 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Special appointments available outside
Free client parking is available.
51 Queen Street, St. Catharines, ON L2R 5G8